Thursday, December 17, 2009

iSpy a Shoe Designer with a Difference!



As a lover of shoes and independent designers, I came across Zoe Kratzmann Shoes recently and loving their design, sought her out to find out her creative story!

After reading your background on the website profile, you mention you have worked in retail. What led you to begin this business and why shoes?
I had been researching various business concepts on and off for several years before the inception of zoe kratzmann footwear. At the time I was living in Hong Kong and I simply went looking for a business that would fit my needs and compliment my knowledge base. I had an understanding of the Australian
retail market and I believed there was a gap for stylish, quality footwear
rather than the luxury brand knock-offs that flood the market. I saw
Australia embracing and supporting its apparel designers but there seemed
to be a lack of accessories designers. As accessories and footwear was a
growing sector in the market I believed it presented an opportunity.

Have you studied shoe manufacturing or worked with a shoe brand previously?
I worked briefly with Joanne Mercer footwear as a state sales manager but
it is a totally different skill set working on design and development. Basically I am self-educated in terms footwear manufacturing. Living in Hong
Kong for six years I spent a lot of time in Chinese factories. In establishing
my business I worked with several factories and learnt much about the
systems and processes of manufacturing. Every time I develop a new
collection I learn more. The craftsmen in the factory really are artisans.
Making shoes by hand requires detailed skills and a thorough knowledge of
the components and their limitations.

I noticed you have a strong ethical code regarding manufacturing in China. How you are able to audit this or monitor it and why is this important to you?
My business needs to be "good" from the ground up. I couldn't put my name
to something that was not operating under fair and ethical terms. I have
spent and continue to spend considerable time in the factory. I see
first-hand the working conditions and the working hours. There is currently a
shortage of skilled labour in various areas of China including where my key
factory is located. This requires employees to be remunerated above the
award wage in order to maintain their services. Not always a good thing
for the factories but good for the employees.

You also support Kiva organisation. Explain how this partnership came to be and why you felt this organisation was the most relevant choice for you?
Kiva is an organization that appeals to me on many levels. The concept of
person-to-person micro lending blew my mind when I first heard of it. As an
entrepreneur I love being able to help low-income entrepreneurs around the
globe. It is personal, it is specific, it deals with real individuals, you
get updates on their progress and it empowers people. It really can help people
achieve economic independence.

How important is the Custom Design side of the business? Are you able to list some clients you work with?
The custom design aspect of my business is in its infancy. I am currently
working with two select clients, one being Zimmermann. Zimmermann create their own designs and I support them with sample development, production, quality control and shipping. The custom design process is tailored to meet my client’s specific needs. It is proving to be growth sector in the business.

Who is the Zoe Kratzmann customer? Where does your design signature come from?
The zoe kratzmann customer has an eye for good design and beautiful
finishes. They covet a little bit of luxury in their everyday lives. They are
open to experimenting with their look and adopting fresh fashion. They may
like the idea of supporting a small business instead of a multinational. They may care about the origins of their footwear. They care about comfort.

I am inspired my labels such a Marni. I love their aesthetic. It is clean
and strong but innovative. They create for the woman who dresses for
herself. There is a lot of fashion at present that leans too far into sexy. I like fashion and accessories that allow a woman's personality to come through not be overpowered by looking provocative.

I noticed you aren’t selling online. Have you got any plans to sell online?
I am launching an online shopping site early in the New Year. It has been
born out of necessity more than anything. I receive a lot of enquiries about
my stockists and feel an online site will allow my customers ease of
shopping.

What does the future hold for Zoe Kratzmann?
I am really excited about my new SS10 collection that starts wholesaling
in January. I will exhibit at the European Footwear Expo in Perth, Brisbane,
Sydney and Melbourne and also the Australian Shoe Fair in Sydney in February. I am currently researching international opportunities but may have to bide my
time until international markets bounce back.

Zoe Kratzmann Shoes are priced from $150-$420 rrp including summer flats, heels and boots. Check out her website for stockists details.

1 comment:

  1. Small Business owners are largely forgotten. Thats why I only focus on them. I have experience several members of my family file bankruptcy due to small business failures. I also I suffered through 2 destroyed businesses due to failure however, in my failings I have learned some of the secrets to success. (Who can say they know it all?)
    What I like about small business owners is that they are not afraid to take huge risks and lay it all on the line. But, I agree they do need a lot of help with their marketing. I think having them go the social media and email route is not only the least expensive but its also the most effective. Thanks for the stats!
    www.onlineuniversalwork.com

    ReplyDelete